Sunday, July 13, 2008

March 28 - 31, 2005

“In or out, am in or out?”


I consider the retreat that I attended at the Divine Word Seminary (S.V.D.) with Rose, Gerald, Agnes, Kuya Jom, Ate Paz, Meryll, Joy, Mackoy, and the rest of the CCPians last Lent as a renewal of my connection with God. It was a rare chance to achieve serenity; I took advantage of searching for my life’s meaning. At the conclusion, I found myself whole and complete…..once again ready to face the S-T-O-R-M-S of L-I-F-E that are inevitable to occur.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Coming from Batangas where my family celebrated Easter Sunday, I asked my father to drop me directly to Primeland. It was a crucial day because Prof. Fernandez was supposed to give our final grades for AC 4 & 5. I felt the anxiety of the atmosphere. Everyone was worried. We knew that noncompliance of the provisions of the scholarship contract would mean the discontinuance of all the benefits we are receiving at the moment. Such fear was aggravated by Dean Sevilla’s untimely removal from office. Suddenly, the man who treated us as his own was banished. Sadly, the wind beneath our fragile wings was gone.

It was before noon when Prof. Fernandez arrived. We went directly to the BA Faculty Office to inquire about our standing. “In or out, am I in or out?“ This was the puzzling question that we asked to ourselves. Before long, our grades were announced. To sum it up, only fifteen of us were in the so-called “safe zone”. We were asked to return on Thursday for the announcement of our final grades.

………………………………………………………………………………………………………

The moment of bitter truth came. The once contingent event is now a reality. Only thirteen of us were able to attain a grade of 2.0 and above. Sorrow permeated the air. I knew that behind our calm and reserved countenances were hearts that were about to burst.
After the announcement, I went to Robinson’s Place-Ermita with Natalie, Jorai, Alfred, and Robin. I refused to witness any further sight of gloom. I felt that each one of us needed some space to reflect and discern.

No comments: